Tuesday, September 2, 2014

DIY : Inexpensive Abstract Art

Lets be honest, everyone wants some great artwork to hang on the wall.  Something unique and, lets face it, something that didn't come from Hobby Lobby or Target.  

The problem is, either its from Target or you pay a pretty penny for it.

Sooo...I have been working on getting our guest room together and I really wanted some pretty artwork on the wall.  So I went to Hobby Lobby.  And no, I wasn't looking in the wall decor section, I went to the art supply aisle.  This is what I got:



I wanted the artwork to look legitimate, I thought the key to this was the canvas.  Thus the medium texture art canvas.


Acrylic paint that I thought would go well with the other colors in the room.  


Some gold paint because lets face it, everything is better with metallics...especially gold! The mod podge was to give some extra texture and let me really layer it all up.

Here is what I did:

1. Taped the canvas down on my work surface 

2. Watered down my brush and applied paint to canvas

3. Dried the paint with a blowdryer and added mod podge, dry after mod podge as well

4. Keep applying layers and drying and mod podging.  This will give it lots of texture and will help you achieve the look you want.

5. I wanted an ombre effect so watering the paint down was key.

6. Get some great, inexpensive frames from IKEA (several different sizes and finishes).  The reason why these are great:  they come WITH the matte.  Looks great and is such a great price!

7. Hang and enjoy!




We still need some bedside tables, lamps, and accessories to finish off the guest room, but this artwork really added a good punch of color.  Seriously, so easy, inexpensive, and fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment